Microbes are micro-organisms which are too small to be seen by the naked eye. Some examples of microbes are bacteria, fungi, virus and algae.
Microbes are so small that they can only be seen with a microscope. They are about 10 times smaller than a typical human cell.
They can be found everywhere! Some microbes can make you ill, but there are also good microbes found in our bodies which keep us healthy.
Some harmful microbes can invade our bodies and cause infectious diseases such as flu and measles. The recent pandemic COVID-19 is caused by a virus named SARS-CoV-2. It causes symptoms such as fever, cough and shortness of breath.
Proper hand-cleaning is essential to keep us safe from these microbes!
READ ALSO: THE IMPORTANCE OF HANDWASHING
Conduct the following experiment to understand the importance of hand-cleaning.
Prepare the following materials/ingredients:
Equipments Required (Or you can find these equipments in the LabX kit)
*Purchase our LabX kit for the convenience of doing experiments anywhere!
1. Add agar powder and water into a beaker.
2. Stir and heat the mixture until it boils and ensure that all the powder is dissolved.
3. Allow the mixture to cool for 3 minutes.
4. Pour the mixture into 3 petri dishes.
5. Close the lids and leave them aside to solidify.
READ ALSO: ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT COVID-19 IN 5 MINUTES
1. Place one petri dish aside as a control set-up.
2. Label one petri dish as ‘Clean’ and the other as ‘Dirty’.
3. Choose an object to test.
4. Use a plastic pipette to damp a small cotton ball with water.
5. Rub the damp cotton ball on your chosen object.
6. Open the lid and gently rub against the agar plate labelled as ‘Dirty’, then close the lid.
7. Clean the same object using anti-bacterial wipes.
8. Damp another piece of cotton ball and rub against the object.
9. Open the lid of the petri dish and gently rub against the agar plate labelled as ‘Clean’, then close the lid.
10. Flip and place them upside down in separate ziplock bags.
11. Store them in the same location for 2-4 days.
12. Observe the changes in the agar plates.
Enjoy this experiment?
This experiment is extracted from Marshall Cavendish Education's LabX kit. It comes with complete experiment steps and worksheets!
Purchase our LabX kit and 18 access cards to all 18 experiments with us today!
It is available at all POPULAR Bookstores in Singapore.
LabX Adventure Kit: $25 (before GST), Access Card: $18 (before GST)
POPULAR Members enjoy 20% savings!
To find out more about Marshall Cavendish Education’s assessment books in POPULAR bookstores, please visit our Editor’s Pick section.
Click here to view the e-brochure.
For pre-schoolers, we have an upcoming LabX Junior kit coming in the way, click here to view the e-brochure.
Further questions on the products? Write to us at email@example.com.
Giveaway Contest to Win LabX Kit + 1 Experiment (U.P. $46)
Share photos of your agar plate with us from 2 April 2020 to 30 April 2020 and stand a chance to win 1 set of LabX kit & LabX experiment (Personal Hygiene & Bacteria) worth $46!
Source: MicrobeWorld.org/Tasha Sturm/Cabrillo College
3 lucky winners will be selected. Share it via the post in our FB/IG page under the respective comments section.
Type the code from the image